- Question 1:
- What did you know about Albert Einstein before
you read this story?
Your answers to this question may be different from others’ answers. You may not have heard of Albert Einstein
before you read the text, or you may have known a number of
facts about his life and work. Here are a few of the more common
- Einstein is one of the most well-known scientists. (He
ranks with Galileo and Newton.)
- As a child, his parents worried because he was slow in learning to speak.
- Some reports of Einstein’s early life described him as a poor student,
but this information is a myth. Teachers reported grades differently when Einstein
was in school. Comparing Einstein’s school records with those of today’s
students makes the budding scientist’s grades appear low. Teachers in
Einstein’s day would have considered his grades as excellent.
- Einstein left school at age 15, but a year later he returned to school.
- He failed the entrance exam to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology,
but after further study, he was accepted at the school. Later, he became a
physics and math teacher.
- He wrote his first science papers while he was working in the patent office
in Bern, Switzerland.
- He was married and had two sons, but later he divorced his wife and married
- He discovered the relationship between energy and mass, which he wrote as
the equation, E = mc2.
<< Back to discussion questions